In the 60s, the future Nobeli Erik Kandel found out that memory formation occurs with an increase in the efficiency of synaptic connections. It is the number of these formations, and not the mass or volume of the brain, that affect the level of intelligence. We tried to briefly explain the basic principles of memory, and just below we collected 17 extremely useful exercises for the development of the brain.
From the school biology program, we remember that neurons transmit signals to each other through synapses — the interacting regions of neuron endings. When a pulse is transmitted from the dendrite to the axon in the neuron-communicator (neuron No. 1), neurotransmitters (chemicals that facilitate signal transmission) are released. They enter the synaptic cleft of the neuron-recipient (neuron No. 2) and act on the receptors of its dendrite, which causes a change in surface potential in neuron No. 2. Visually, this can be represented as:
With the course of our training, when the electronic signal passes this way several times, the synaptic connections become wider, the number of synapses increases. In the brain, new neural micro-nets are formed, “consisting” of new knowledge - your intellect is growing.
In order for the efficiency of synaptic connections to grow, and the brain to be used to the maximum, you need to regularly load it and surprise. In this article we want to tell you about a set of exercises for the brain, called neurobics. All of them are based on the love of our brain to everything new and increase its neuroplasticity.
- Do familiar things with your left hand an hour a day if you are right handed and vice versa. Brush your teeth, eat, write, do household chores. This will help develop thinking outside the box and creativity.
Try writing with your left hand
- Write notes by hand, and do not hammer them into the phone.The letter stimulates the creation of new neural connections in the brain.
- Try to walk around the apartment with your eyes closed (just be careful) or do the usual blind action. For example, go to the shower or wash the dishes. When the brain loses the main information channel, all other feelings become aggravated.
- Habits and rituals relax the brain. Walk a lot, avoiding the usual ways. So you will kill two or even more birds with one stone: unfamiliar routes will give your brain new “branches” of neurons, and a walking tour will increase tone and mood.
Choose unfamiliar routes
- Consider in your mind - no pencil and paper, and even more so a calculator. You can add a competitive effect and count with your friends in a race.
- Learn new things. The most effective way for the brain and memory is to learn a new language or musical instrument. It is useful to master a new hobby that uses motor skills: knitting, drawing, picking up puzzles. Sport, by the way, also has a positive effect on the brain, especially yoga - try to memorize a few simple asanas and do this complex in the morning. This will help your body wake up.
It's never too late to learn to play the guitar, for example.
- Visualize the words. Put a sheet of paper and colored pencils in front of you. Now try to draw the image of the first word that came to your mind. Or, every day, learn one new word and sketch what it is associated with. We are interested in what kind of drawing will be born thanks to the word “prim” or “frustration”.
- Write cards by memory. If you travel a lot, try returning from a memory holiday to draw a map of the area where you visited.
The more parts there are, the better.
- Going somewhere in public transport? Instead of looking distantly out the window, play the words with yourself. Name yourself as many objects, surnames, toponyms (whatever), united by one theme: cities with the letter K, poets of the Silver Age, plants of the middle band, etc.
- Record events. On the way to work, sweep up 7 things that you want: a striped cat was sitting at the entrance, a woman with a red umbrella was walking in front, etc. When you reach your destination, try to remember all the things in the order in which they were seen.
- Challenge the taste buds.Yes, even eating habits have a bad effect on our neural connections. Surprise the receptors with a dish familiar to you, cooked in a new way - add unusual seasonings with a pronounced taste to it.
- Learn by heart one poem per day. Better choose the unfamiliar. So you will improve memory and expand your knowledge of poetry. Start with small quatrains and gradually increase the level of difficulty.
Learn one poem tonight
- Different parts of the brain are responsible for hearing and reading - read a book with a friend, changing roles: listen, read aloud.
- Mentally read the words in reverse. Start with short ones, go to longer ones, and then to whole sentences.
- Solve crosswords, sudoku and other puzzles. Play board games in which you need to connect logic: chess, go, card strategies.
Puzzles - A Great Brain Warm Up
- Install a brain simulator on your phone. Excellent English-language Brainbuster applications: Lumosity and Elevate (perhaps the most popular in this genre). There is a Russian counterpart - Wikium. They are made on a similar principle: every day you are offered several mini-games,each of them is responsible for improving various functions of the brain: memory, reaction speed, reading and computing, vocabulary and much more.
- Be original. When you get asked a banal "How are you?", Come up with a witty answer - every time a new one. At least in my head.