How revived the Resurrection Goritsky Monastery, its history and features
From ancient times, monasteries are centers of culture andspiritual development. It was in them that the connection of times and generations was realized. In the past, monasteries were the birthplace of typography, writing, annals and letters. Thanks to this, scientists today study and describe historical events of different periods. Monasteries are also a shelter for the afflicted, shelter for the persecuted. In the olden days, people who disliked her could hide here from power. So the Resurrection Goritsky Monastery is part of the great history of the Russian State.
The chronicle of it was compiled in the XIX century. Studying it, we can conclude that there was a desert for a long time (pogost). The revival, which survived the Resurrection Goritsky Monastery, is connected with the Church of the Resurrection of Christ. Religious buildings were distinguished by modest beauty and grandeur. The Resurrection Cathedral is a monumental and oldest building on the territory of the monastery. Initially, he had two chapters. The other four sides, with iron drums, were created later. The upper part of the cathedral walls is decorated with northern decor. The temple is designed in a simple style. The belfry was built in 1611 and rebuilt in the XVIII century.
Voskresensky Goritsky monastery is almost notchanged the existing appearance, formed at the end of the XVIII century, to the present day. And the layout of the cathedral complex has not been changed since the 16th century. Internal rework and small extensions had only functional significance. Therefore, the Resurrection Goritsky Monastery retained its basic architecture. All buildings are grouped around the Church of the Resurrection of Christ, spiraling.
The monastery was founded in 1544. Princess Euphrosyneia Staritskaya. She was the widow of the appanage prince Andrey Staritsky (the uncle of Ivan IV the Terrible). At this time there was already a wooden Resurrection Church, which was replaced by a stone church. In 1563, as a result of the denunciation, the princess was deprived of her royal favor. She took a vow in a nun, humbly taking the name of Evdokia. Together with her, monasticism and her entourage took place. Having settled in the monastery, the princess took care of his arrangement. Gold-embroidery workshops were transferred from the estate. The first abbot was an old Anna. The fate of the founder is tragic. On September 11, 1569, by the order of the tsar, the princess-nun Evdokia and abbess Anna were drowned by oprichniki in the river. The legend of the Resurrection Goritsky Monastery says that they were planted in a rich ship heavily laden with stones. It went to the bottom as soon as it sailed away. The bodies of the nuns were found a few days later, floating against the current. After they began to be revered as saints.
The tragic fate of the founder influenced thea further portion of the monastery. Famous husbands sent there their obnoxious wives, here lived exiled women from noble families. In 1569, the monastery numbered 70 women. Among the famous settlements there were two wives of Ivan the Terrible - A. Koltovskaya and M. Nagaya. Also here were the princesses of K. Godunov, the princesses M. Cherkasskaya and I. Miloslavskaya, later (1739-1741), E. Dolgorukova (daughter of A. Dolgorukova) lived here under the strictest supervision. Among the benefactors is Tsar Theodore Ioannovich (1597), the last of the Rurikites.
According to the testament of Mary Naga in 1611. in the monastery erected a new stone church of the Holy Great Martyr Catherine with a side chapel of Dimitri and a bell tower. In December 1612 the monastery was ravaged by the Polish-Lithuanian invaders. In 1693 there was a severe fire, which destroyed most of the property and wooden buildings. Only the burnt walls of the stone temples remained. Restored a monument of architecture with the help of the Cyril Monastery. In the 16th century under Peter I the monastery was impoverished and deprived of all privileges.
Features of the statute
The charter of the monastery was not like the others. It was determined by the unusual composition of the nuns. Unlike the generally accepted, there was a charter in the monastery, under which each resident disposed of her own means, had her own cell and led a personal farm that corresponded to prosperity. The connection between them was supported by common prayer and obedience to the abbess. Each new nun made a payment to the treasury for tonsure and had to acquire a cell that became her property. She could sell it or give it to someone at its discretion. About food also cared for each separately, except in rare cases, when it was conducted about a poor or infirm person. Then at the meeting of the elders a decision was made to give out a little help. As a result, such an original charter, with no support from the state, led the monastery to desolation.
In 1810 the rector of Mauritius Chodneva began a revival. In a short time, the women's Orthodox monastery began to flourish. A dormitory charter was introduced, it united the sisters. For vegetable gardens rented land and built a brick factory. New construction began. At the expense of the assistant Mother Superior of Feofania, we organized a weaving, painting and gold-embroidery workshops. Over time, the mother of Theophania conquered the great love and trust of nuns. She worked very selflessly.
In 1845 Archbishop of Novgorod Leonid came to see Feofania personally. Afterwards, a decree was issued to transfer it to the capital. The purpose of the transfer is the foundation of a new monastery. Mother arrived in St. Petersburg with three sisters, they were joined by another 20 Goritsky nuns. On October 28, 1845, Mother was consecrated in the Mother Superior. An industrious nun was appreciated by the tsar's people. She died on July 18, 1881 and was buried on the south side of the Trinity Church. At the beginning of the XX century, the Goritsky monastery had a third-class level, numbered about five hundred settlements and belonged to the Novgorod diocese. Today he is guarded by the Vologda diocese, which is doing a lot to restore the former glory of the monastery.
New severe tests
After the Revolution of 1917 it was created by the agricultural collective "Kolos" in which the nuns worked and lived and prayed until the closure of the monastery in the 30s of the last century. Mother Superior Zosima was shot. Disabled and elderly nuns were drowned on a barge in the White Lake, the rest were shot or exiled. Miraculously survivors lived in the only active Pokrovskaya (Suburban) church.
After the Great Patriotic War, the Resurrection Goritsky Women'sThe monastery was turned into a House of Disabled Persons, which functioned until 1973. Then the church buildings were handed over to the museum. And in the Trinity Cathedral the House of Culture was placed, in the Vvedensky Church - a tractor workshop, in the Intercession Church - the board of the state farm. Resurrection Cathedral as a monument of architecture of the XVI century passed to the state farm.
A new revival began in 1996. the efforts of the prioress of Euphalia (Lebedeva), who, at the invitation of Bishop Maximilian, came to Goritsy from the Krasnogorsk Pokrovsky Monastery (Zolotonosha, Cherkasy region).
Today the monastery is experiencing a new birth. The farm at the monastery is large, there is a barnyard and chickens. Most of the products of the settlement are made by themselves. Repair and restoration work is under way, ponds are being cleared. The monastery was transferred to the Vologda diocese.
Location and pilgrimage
The monastery is located near the cityKirillov, only seven kilometers from him. The monastery was located on the left side of the Sheksna river. It is built at the foot of Maura Mountain, where the countryside is full of picturesque greenery of meadows and beauty of lakes. This is the village of Goritsy, Vologda region. A small village in the summer lives at the expense of tourists and pilgrims who come here on an excursion. Cruise ships make an obligatory stop in these places. Tourists go to the Kirillo-Belozersky, Ferapontov monasteries and do not forget to visit the Goritsky monastery, less famous, but very important in the cultural and spiritual stratum, which is created by the Vologda diocese in the Kirillovsky district and the region, and also for Russia as a whole. The monastery is visited by many pilgrims. Their number is significantly increased in the summer. Residents of the monastery conduct an active social life, communicate with local inhabitants and visitors pilgrims, conduct educational and pedagogical work.