How to connect a video card?
Watch the video
Sometimes, in computer games there is not enough video memory, so there is no opportunity to enjoy the graphics to the fullest. Then you have to underestimate the game options to play comfortably. However, there is a simpler solution - to install a new video card.
How to connect the video card will be described below.
How to connect a video card to a computer
Before you connect a new, more powerful video card, you need to make sure of two things:
- Will the power supply withstand a new video card. Otherwise, you should also buy a new power supply. You can see the data on the power of the video card in the instructions;
- Make sure that the port that supports the motherboard is suitable for a new video card. You can view this information in the passport of the mother card.
After that, you can perform the following steps to install a video card:
- Remove the driver on the old video card. To do this, go to Control Panel - System. In the "Hardware" tab, click on the item "Device Manager".Find your video adapter and click "Properties" in the context menu. In the "Driver" tab, click "Delete."
- Then turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
- Open the block and pull out the old card.
- Insert a new video card in place of the old one. Make sure it is secured.
- Close the block, start the computer.
- Install the driver on the video card and check its performance.
If you do not know how to install the drivers, then our article How to install the video card driver will help you.
And the algorithm for checking the video card will tell our article How to check the video card for performance.
How to connect two video cards
If the games do not go to the maximum graphics settings, then the solution may be to connect two video cards. This is cheaper than buying a new video card, which, moreover, may not cope with the load. However, we must take into account some requirements for installing two video cards:
- Video cards work with each other in conjunction, only if they are from the same family;
- To connect video cards, additional slots are also required on the motherboard. If not, then you can buy another motherboard, where there are several slots for video adapters.In addition, you must choose a motherboard that is compatible with multiple video cards, as written in its documentation;
- The power supply must be from 700 W;
- You need the right amount of wires to power the video card;
- We need a bridge connector for the video cards to work together. It is purchased separately or comes bundled with a motherboard or video cards.
If all requirements are met, then you can install the video card in place. To do this, we repeat everything the same as in the previous section with a single video card. However, there are differences. For the cards to work in conjunction, you need to install a bridge between them. Bridge connectors are usually located on top of video cards.
The monitor should be connected only to the first card, which is closer to the processor. After installation, turn on the computer and install the drivers for video cards in conjunction. You can easily find these drivers on a disk to video cards or on the official website of the manufacturer.