Skin problems in newborns: what mom needs to know
Many mothers, having first seen their newborn child, not only come to an incredible delight, but also experience an unprecedented surprise, because the baby often does not look at all like they imagined.
The appearance of a newborn is very different from the appearance of older children. For example, the skin of a newborn is very thin and tender, it seems that it is almost transparent. It is very susceptible to external factors, inflammation, redness of the rash and other troubles, as well as quite normal physiological reactions to a change in habitat can occur on the skin of a child.
To prepare for a meeting with a newborn, mother will not hurt to know what a baby’s skin might look like, what kind of reactions and how it can manifest itself.
Read also:Newborn's chair: norms, problems and their solution
Newborn skin: what can it be with it
The skin of a newborn baby, that is, a child from birth to 28 days, is very delicate, sensitive, it instantly reacts to external factors with redness, rash.The causes of redness and rash on the skin of a newborn can be many, we suggest you familiarize yourself with the main ones.
1. Physiological and toxic erythema of the newborn.Physiological erythema occurs in the process of adaptation of the skin of the child to the environment. It manifests itself a few days after the birth of general redness of the skin or certain parts of it. Usually, erythema does not require treatment and goes away on its own in about a week.
Toxic erythema occurs as a continuation of the physiological. Toxic erythema may occur due to the reaction of the baby’s body to breast milk or other factors.
Irina Kolpakova,pediatrician, homeopath - Homeopathic Center. Demyana Popova:"With toxic erythemarashes are usually located on the face and scalp. These are red or pink spots or pimples (papules). They occur in 25-30% of newborns, occur on the 2-3rd day of life and pass in a couple of weeks. Erythema usually does not need treatment. ”
When toxic erythema is recommended to do more air baths for the child.
Mother Alevtina shared her story:“On the second day of my life my son had small pimples on his back, I was worried. She asked the neonatologist, she said that it was normal, it was an erythema, the back had to be aired and everything would pass. After 3-4 days, everything really went away by itself. ”
Read also:The most common pathologies of newborns: what you need to know?
Read also:Patronage sister: who she is and why she needs it
2. Vascular spots or "capillary asterisks". Usually occur on the back of the head, neck, forehead, nose, upper eyelids of the baby.
Irina Kolpakova,pediatrician, homeopath - Homeopathic Center. Demyana Popova: «Vascular spots are caused by superficial location of capillaries. They pass by 1.5 years, they do not need treatment. They must be differentiated from hemangiomas (benign vascular outgrowths) and hematomas (hemorrhages due to trauma). "
3. Prickly heat -these are small red pimples that spread over the skin of the whole body or only on some of its parts. There is a hemorrhage due to overheating. When the skin sweats, sweat causes irritation and a rash occurs.
To cure prickly heat, you need to bathe the baby in the bath or shower several times a day,put on it in the heat is only light clothing, if possible, give the child to stay naked, it is also recommended for a while to abandon the use of disposable diapers. For successful treatment of prickly heat, it is very important to maintain the correct temperature in the baby’s room - 20-22 degrees.
4. Diaper dermatitisoccurs in the area of the buttocks, in the inguinal folds, in the crotch area. Diaper dermatitis is manifested by irritation, redness, diaper rash.
Irina Kolpakova,pediatrician, homeopath - Homeopathic Center. Demyana Popova: «The cause of this type of rash is irritation of the skin with urine, feces, intestinal microflora in conditions of a warm moist compress, which is created under the diaper. The best treatment: air baths, hygiene (frequent rinsing with water) and minimal use of disposable diapers. ”
Read also:The first days of the newborn: assessment of the state, reflexes and analyzes
5. Contact dermatitismanifested by a rash on the body of the child in the places of contact of the skin with a rough cloth, clasps, strings, cosmetics and so on.
Irina Kolpakova,pediatrician, homeopath - Homeopathic Center.Demyana Popova: "To combat contact dermatitis, all factors that cause this type of rash should be taken into account and, if possible, excluded.".
6. Rash caused by various microorganisms, or infectious rash:
- with childhood infections: chickenpox, rubella, measles, scarlet fever, roseola, rashes characteristic of a particular disease occur;
- other infectious diseases: herpes, molluscum contagiosum, enterovirus, staphylo-and streptoderma and others;
- in dysbacteriosis: in physiological dysbacteriosis, which is observed up to 6 months, due to the lack of good microflora, conditionally pathogenic and pathogenic microbes from the environment settle on the child’s skin and multiply, and therefore a rash occurs.
In order to prevent the appearance of an infectious rash in a newborn, all members of the family, in which the child will soon appear, should treat all diseases in order not to infect the child. Also, do not go to crowded places with a newborn. Treatment of a rash in each case should be prescribed by a pediatrician.
7. Suppurations.The body's defenses are still very weak, so any inflammation can spread rapidly.If there is damage to the child’s skin, they can quickly develop into small suppurations or serious foci - purulent inflammations of the subcutaneous fatty tissue.
Irina Kolpakova,pediatrician, homeopath - Homeopathic Center. Demyana Popova: «Often, the entrance gates of purulent inflammation of the skin are injection sites, umbilical wound, diaper rash. Therefore, the baby’s skin should be carefully monitored, taken care of and maintained hygienic. ”
Read also:Constipation in a newborn: how to help a baby?
8. Jaundice of the newborn- This is the physiological condition of the child, which is not observed in all babies, it occurs in the first hours of life and can last up to one and a half weeks.
Irina Kolpakova,pediatrician, homeopath - Homeopathic Center. Demyana Popova: "The icteric staining of the skin is due to the breakdown of fetal hemoglobin, as it is completely replaced by adult hemoglobin, adapted for carrying oxygen. Fetal hemoglobin in the process of its destruction is converted to bilirubin. And it is bilirubin that stains the skin yellow. Treatment: frequent attachment of the child to the chest, such as bilirubin is excreted in the feces and urine,the more often the child urinates and recovers, the faster bilirubin will be eliminated; phototherapy, stay under special lamps for phototherapy or in the sun, the ultraviolet spectrum of the sun's rays translates bilirubin into a water-soluble form and it is quickly excreted in the urine. "
9. Allergies.Also, the newborn may have all sorts of allergies.
The skin of the baby in the first month of his life is very delicate. To avoid any problems with the skin, you should carefully look after it, dress the baby in the weather, monitor the temperature regime in the child's room, carefully select a diet for the nursing mother.