The most interesting facts about nightingales
The nightingale is a passerine detachment, which has only 2 species: the nightingale and the southern nightingale. Everyone is known for their beautiful singing, thanks to which they are often kept in captivity.
Nightingale is a little bird. Its size is slightly larger than the size of a sparrow. The color of the bird is unremarkable: brownish brown, brownish gray. Pretty long and rounded tail.
The common nightingale lives in central Russia, in the south of Siberia. Absolutely boring and uninteresting bird, at first glance. They love her not for her appearance, but for her voice.
But what can surprise a gray, nondescript bird with a beautiful voice? As it turned out, an ordinary nightingale keeps a lot of secrets and mysteries.
True to your home
Nightingales all their life (and this is about 10 years) live in the same place. After wintering in hot Africa, they return to their nests. And the young stock settles near the nest in which they were born. The thing is that they are extremely picky in choosing habitats.After a long choice of housing, they do not “want” to return to an empty, uninhabited place.
It would seem that the nightingale and the parrot do not connect anything. Completely different families and squads. But the nightingale is different from all birds not only by the intricacy and beauty of the trill, but also by the ability to imitate the voices of other birds. It can be safely called a blackbird family of parrots.
Since childhood, parents teach their chicks truly beautiful singing. But even more surprising is the fact that the young people for the rest of their lives are trying to imitate the older generation, considering them more experienced and skilled craftsmen.
The house is locked
When the nightingale arrives from wintering, he waits up to 5 days and starts singing all day long, taking a short break. So lasts up to two weeks. This is necessary in order to attract the female to her dwelling. After the feathered bird begins to sing only at night, in order to drive away other males from the dwelling. It is also worth noting that he ruthlessly expels all other birds from his territory.
Any experienced vocalist can envy the change in tones of a nightingale song. The repertoire of the nightingale is equal to180-300 kinds of tones. The song of the nightingale may containup to 24 knees. A knee is an alternating series of sounds. But this is not so much in comparison with the number of knees of a more adult nightingale (40 knees). The thing is that females for mating choose the most experienced singer. Therefore, the older the bird, the more likely to get offspring.
The common nightingale feeds mainly on insects (bedbugs, leaf beetles, weevils and clickers). In the cold season, when all insects hide under the ground, the nightingale does not squeamish with berries and seeds.
It would seem that there is nothing unusual and surprising in this. But if an ant has tremendous power and is able to lift 10 times its weight more than itself, then a nightingale can eat almost 90% of its body weight. It is vital for him to compensate for all the energy that he spends during singing.
For the winter, nightingales fly to hot Africa. Their flight begins in central Russia, and ends in the Congo. it6500 kmon my way. How much time and how much effort it takes for these small and fragile birds to overcome this path, one can only guess.
Faster than wind
Nightingale fairly fast birds. On average, their speed can reachup to 50 km / h. Of course, this is not comparable with the speed of an open-haired swift (111 km / h), but for an ordinary little bird the speed of a nightingale delights.
Also, since ancient times, people have admired the nightingale, and there are many interesting and extremely curious facts about how people interacted with these amazing birds.
Of course, the fact that they are still caged to this day in order to enjoy the wonderful singing of the nightingale every minute will not surprise anyone. But there is something that few people know:
- In the ancient East, the nightingale singing was especially appreciated. Nightingales lived in cages in palaces and castles, especially emperors and nobles. It was believed that the nightingale his trill calls for luck and welfare to their owners. But ordinary people could not afford to have a nightingale.
- Joseph Helffrich (American astronomer) in 1911 discovered an asteroid in the main belt group. He called this asteroid “Lucnia”, which means “nightingale” in Latin.
- In Kursk (Russia, Kursk region) a whole museum was dedicated to the nightingale, which is called “the Kursk nightingale”.
- In the 19th century, fishing for nightingales was considered a very profitable business. When the rows of birds began to thin out, I had to accept a decree banning nightingale fishing. Especially, in Kursk, Ryazan and Kiev provinces, where nightingales were especially valued.
- In some cuisines of the world nightingales were used as a dish. Of course, basically, the love of the nightingale was devoid of gastronomic overtones. But, for example, in Germany they served a pate of nightingale tongues. And in some European countries they loved only the meat of the nightingale.
- Of course, traditional medicine could not pass by such an amazing bird. It was believed that nightingale meat can cure ailments. Whether it is anemia (anemia), chronic fatigue (constant desire to sleep), abdominal pain and much more. Nightingale and magical subtext were also given to the meat. It was believed that having tried it, a person would be able to understand the language of animals and birds, cause rain and see the future. Many took the meat of the nightingale to discover in themselves a unique talent for singing, music, drawing, or needlework.
Here is such an amazing nightingale. It would seem that a little bird, and how many secrets and mysteries keeps in itself.