- Posted Marina Bondareva
- Date: September 22, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Wedding dress care: how to make everything right before and after the celebration
Any woman wants to look great on her wedding day, so she carefully chooses an outfit. Sometimes it happens that before this exciting event it is necessary to clean it or after a holiday various pollution is found on the wedding dress. And there is a dilemma: to wash, clean, steam it at home or contact a dry cleaner.
Cleaning the wedding dress at home
Numerous fitting wedding dresses lead to the fact that they need to be refreshed or cleaned before the holiday. You can remove uncomplicated stains and steam the dress yourself, but the success of cleaning depends on the material.It is allowed to clean the dress from organza, chiffon, silk, tulle only from simple dirt and stains.Trust the professional if the attempts were unsuccessful, as further efforts will lead to disastrous results.If joyful chores are already behind, then the dress can be cleaned and even washed by hand or in the car.It is advisable to do the removal of stains as quickly as possible. You can start washing the entire wedding dress right away in situations where:
- need to refresh outfit;
- you need to remove extensive contamination;
- there are spots on the water basis, traces of food products;
- dress is made of dense fabric, polyester;
- the number of decor on the product is minimal.
Dresses with glued decor should not be subjected to soaking and automatic washing.
When and how to purge the wedding dress
Cleaning should be resorted to in the following cases:
- slight soiling on a lightweight dress;
- a few spots, located mainly in one place (for example, a hem is stained);
- presence on the product of sewn or glued decorations;
- if the dress is separate, and the stain is found on one of the components: a corset or skirt.
The purpose of cleaning is the removal of dirt by the partial processing of a wedding dress.It is conducted in this way:
- Hang the dress on a hanger.
- Treat the stains with a chosen agent, using non-rigid sponges or toothbrushes, and rub the places with the decor gently with your hands.
- Rinse the soap thoroughly with clean water.
Washing the wedding dress is inevitable, if cleaning does not help to solve the problem.
The choice of cleaning agent depending on the type of fabric and finish
When choosing a detergent, consider the care recommended for the fabric. Examine the tag on the product: usually it contains information.
Types of fabrics for wedding dresses and ways to care for them - table
|the cloth||Cleaning method|
|Polyester without decor||washing with powder, hand or automatic, in delicate mode at 30 ° C.|
|White satin, silk||
|The combination of types of fabrics||recommended professional dry cleaning, as for each fabric a separate cleaning method is used|
|White cotton fabric||
The choice of methods of cleaning, depending on the color of the fabric and the complexity of the finish - table
|Color, fabric finish||Cleaning method|
|Fabric with sewn decor||
|Dress combined colors||
Means for cleaning a wedding dress
The most popular cleaning products:
- saline solution;
- laundry soap;
- steam and soapy water;
- washing powder;
- hydrogen peroxide and dishwashing liquid;
- baby powder;
- stain removers;
- hydrogen peroxide;
How to clean traces of sweat with saline solution
Remove traces of sweat on the bodice and underarms with a solution of salt - add 1 tbsp in 100 ml of warm water. l salt, stir until it is dissolved. The method is economical and quite effective.
- Hang the dress on a hanger.
- Apply the solution to the spots and leave for 10–20 minutes.
- Rinse the treated areas with clean water.
How to wash at home hem dress
Laundry soap will help get rid of dirt and wine stains on the bottom edge of the dress.
- Crush some soap using a spatula or knife.
Laundry soap rubbed on a grater for better dissolving in water
- Completely dissolve small pieces of soap in hot water.
Ground soap needs to be added to hot water
- Dip a soft sponge in the solution and gently wipe the dress.
A soft sponge dipped in soapy water wipes off dirt on the dress.
- Rinse thoroughly, then dry the dress.
To the dress no soap stains left, it should be well rinsed and dried
- Pour the solution into the spray bottle, if necessary add a stain remover.
- Sprinkle dirt on the outside and inside of the bodice, dress.
Soap solution will remove minor dirt on the inside of the bodice.
- Wipe gently with a soft cloth or toothbrush, especially lace.
- In the same way apply means on other polluted places, rub with a brush.
Pour the soap solution in a spray bottle and sprinkle dirt on the wedding dress, brush it
- If the dirt is not removed, immerse the dress completely or partially into the stain remover. Do not use chlorine bleach.
- Rinse the dress carefully in clean water. A minimum of 3 rinses is recommended to finally wash away the funds.
- Dry the dress horizontally.
Steam and soap water
Drops of paraffin and stains remaining after washing can be easily removed with steam, ironed through white wipes at low temperature.Clean grease stains with steam and soapy water using a different technology.
- Hold the soiled section of the dress over the steam or treat it with a steamer.
- Gently brush the stain with a toothbrush, then apply a soapy solution.
- Rinse with clean water.
Means for washing can be cleaned wedding outfit from non-natural fabric.It is important to thoroughly dissolve the powder in cool water, then gently wipe the dirt with a soft brush. Due to the aggressiveness of the tool is not suitable for most dresses, so choose more gentle ways.
Dishwashing liquid and hydrogen peroxide
Dishwashing liquid and hydrogen peroxide remove wine stains from a snow-white outfit.For colored fabric, it is recommended to choose a more appropriate tool. The treatment is simple: soak the necessary places with a dishwashing detergent, and then wipe the cloth moistened with hydrogen peroxide and rinse.
Baby powder removes fat and oil, traces of cosmetics.
- Powder sprinkle stain.
Apply baby powder to the stain, sprinkle out of the jar.
- Rub the cloth with your fingers, gently rubbing the powder. If the stain is oily, do not rub, but blot with a white cloth.
Gently rub your fingers with a stain only if it is not greasy.
- Prepare a soapy solution and wash it in a dress.
After cleaning the stains, lock the dress
- Rinse the dress carefully in clean water.
The final stage of cleaning is a thorough rinse of the wedding dress
Ammonia - a safe tool that removes stains from grass, flower pollen.For this, it is strictly not recommended to use conventional bleaches, as they discolor or leave yellow stains on the dress.
- Pour 1 tbsp. l ammonia in 200 ml of warm water.
- Liberally treat with a solution of pollution and leave to dry.
- Lather stains with laundry soap.
- Wash treated areas and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Clear herbal spots can be a solution of ammonia
Sparing Stain Removers
Go to stain removers if attempts to clean the dress with soapy water were unsuccessful.Stain removers remove complex stains without damaging the fabric structure.A selection of sparing stain removers large: Paterra pencils; wipes, spray or liquid L.O.C. Amway; spray K2R; Vanish Oxi Action. Cleaning a wedding dress with a liquid stain remover using the example of Vanish Oxi Action:
- Soak the stain in the tool.
Soak in the tool stain on the dress
- For complex stains, gently rub your fingers with the area of contamination.
Gently rub your hands on the stains soaked in the stain remover
- Soak the agent on the dress for the recommended time, usually 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Soak the stain remover for the recommended time and rinse with water.
A solution of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (1 tablespoon per 200 ml of warm water) is particularly suitable for cleaning cotton wedding dresses.
- Treat the stains and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash contaminated places in warm water, gently squeezing the fabric.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
What stains can be cleaned with milk
With milk, treat the traces of a ballpoint pen, red wine. To do this, immerse the contaminated area in milk for 20 minutes, and then rinse alternately in cold and hot water.
Steamer or steam generator is a multifunctional device, the principle of action of which is based on the cleaning properties of steam under pressure.Steam cleaning system effectively removes stains and odors.With the help of the device you can clean the wedding dress from the stains of coffee, juice, blood, wine and even chewing gum. However, it is worth remembering that the device will not cope with stains of protein origin.In addition, the steam can not be processed places of contamination with glued decor, otherwise it will fall off.Operate the steam generator carefully to avoid burns. The device is not cheap, but if it is at home, it becomes a worthy tool in the fight against stains.
The steam generator removes the most difficult stains and odors
How to wash a dress at home
If cleaning does not help remove contaminants, go to the wash. This method is also recommended for the removal of stains on a water basis: sweat, traces of food.
How to wash a wedding dress with your hands
Careful hand washing is preferable, especially if the dress is richly decorated.If it is separate, then wash the skirt separately.
- Dissolve detergent or soap in 20–30 ° C in water.
- Place the skirt in liquid and leave for 2 hours.
- Gently sponge dirty places.
- Rinse the product thoroughly in cool water, adding a few drops of vinegar.
- Dry the skirt.
By the way, you can do the same with the corset, the only difference is that because of the decor you shouldn’t rub the fabric very much and if there are glued decorations on the bodice, reduce the soaking time to 10 minutes.
Skirt or hem can be washed by hand without soaking the entire dress.
Washing the wedding dress in the bath
A lavish dress, decorated with sewn decor, it is better to wash in a bath.
- Type warm water in the bath, 30 ° C.
- Add detergent, place dress in liquid for 60 minutes.
Soak the dress in warm water for 1 hour, and then rinse
- Clean the fabric with the sewn decorative elements by gently rubbing the soiling with your hands or a very soft toothbrush.
Gently rub the dirt on the wedding dress
- Rinse the dress until complete removal of traces of powder, usually 2–3 times is enough.
Washing the wedding dress on weight
- Dampen the dress with warm water, after hanging it on a hanger above the bath.
Hanging the dress over the bathroom, wet it with water
- Wipe dirt on the dress with a sponge dipped in soapy water.
- Pour water on the dress from the top down, washing off the soap.
- Leave the dress hanging until water runs out.
Automatic washing returns the dress freshness.
- Wash in the machine only products from dense fabric with a minimum of a decor;
- do not wash a corset in a typewriter, as it is deformed;
- before working, wash gauze or white fabric on the decor;
- to avoid deformation and puffs, wash your attire in a special bag;
- soak your dress only in warm water;
- instead of powder, use a colorless liquid product to avoid streaks on the dress;
- To make the product look like new, add starch to the conditioner compartment;
- choose the mode of delicate washing without spinning, at a temperature not higher than 60 ° C.
Wash the wedding dress in an automatic typewriter in a delicate treatment without pressing
Video: dress preparation for washing
How to dry a wedding dress after washing
It is important to dry the dress carefully, considering the type of fabric.
- Dry your dress in a warm room on a hanger, with the exception of silk, satin and natural fabrics that lose their shape.
- Do not use a raw wood hanger or rope to avoid creases on the material.
- Dry outfit in a horizontal position, placing on the dryer and a white terry towel.
- You can align the dress without deformation by placing it on a regular vinyl-coated folding tumble dryer installed in the bath.
- Spread the product on a towel, draped over a shower stall in advance, if a stall is installed instead of a bath.
- Afterwards, ironing will be easier if you straighten the layers of tulle during drying.
Proper drying of the wedding dress - gallery
How to smooth and steam a wedding dress
It is recommended to always use the appropriate temperature regime for a particular kind of fabric.
Be careful when steaming with an iron, steam generator and other methods that use hot water and high temperatures to avoid burns.
Table: type of fabric and method of steaming
|Type of fabric||Method of steaming|
|Atlas||dry ironing without steam from the underside of the dress.|
|Fatin, embroidered with decorative elements||
The dress can be steamed at home in different ways.
- over steam in the bathroom;
- hold over a pot of boiling water;
- steam steam generator.
How to iron a wedding dress with an iron
Pay attention to valuable tips for proper ironing of a wedding dress:
- Wipe off the dust from the ironing board and cover with a blanket.
- Clean the iron if required. Do not pour water into it.
- Iron the product, when it is still slightly damp, through gauze or cotton cloth.
- Select the appropriate temperature for the fabric from which the dress is sewn.Start ironing at a low temperature (for silk): if the fabric starts to stick to the iron, reduce the temperature.
- Do not use steam features.
- If the wedding dress is sewn from several fabrics, switch the iron mode each time for a specific material.
Iron the wedding dress, following all recommendations.
- The product with accessories, iron only from the inside, having spread a terry towel.
- Iron off the lace through the fabric, and long sleeves on a special stand.
- Start with a hem or a train.
- Hang the dress on a coat hanger so that the skirt is on the board and iron it carefully.
- Treat antistatic outfit, hang on a hanger and straighten the folds.
After ironing, hang the dress on the hanger, straightening all the folds
Steam treatment in the bathroom
- Pour hot water into the bath.
- Hang the dress over it, departing from the water at least 20 - 30 cm.
- Take care that the dress does not fall into the water.
Steaming with a boiling pot
Folk way of steaming dresses is effective, but you need an assistant who will hold the dress. Be careful to avoid burns.The disadvantages of the method is that the process is tedious and long.It may be necessary to boil more than one pot of water in order to steam the dress entirely. In addition, all this time you need to keep the dress in your hands.
- Pour water into the pan and boil it.
- Put it on the floor, with a firm heat support.
- Take the dress in your hands and hold it over the boiling water, turning as you smooth the folds.
Steam steam stripping
The modern steam generator smoothes folds without contact: just hang the dress on a coat hanger.With the device, the steaming process is quick and convenient. The principle of operation is the smoothing effect of steam on crumpled fabric. Carefully read the instructions before using the device and follow the safety precautions. There are several advantages to this method:
- for steam ironing board is not needed;
- fabric takes the form and elasticity under the influence of steam, without being damaged at the same time;
- constant steam supply is provided;
- Knocks even in hard to reach places finish.
Method of using the steam generator:
- Place the dress upright.
- Pour water into the steam generator.
- Stride first large parts, and after the sleeve, a corset, a skirt.
- Do not wear the dress immediately after steaming, but leave to hang on a hanger.