Why in Japan it is better not to get in the elevator first
In Japanese culture, even the order in which people enter the elevator imposes certain obligations on them. Therefore, in such trifles, the Japanese always have harmony and order, and everyone knows their role and their place.
As you know, Japanese etiquette is not only very clear, but also very detailed. The appeal of people to each other depends not only on gender, age and social status, but also on the situation. And in everyday life there are many unspoken rules that govern the relationship to the smallest detail. On the one hand, it is difficult, on the other - it is convenient: no need to puzzle.
For example, a lift. Everyone has been in such a situation: you have to wait for someone who runs to the elevator, but no one can decide who will hold the door. As a result, the door closes, the person does not have time. In Japan, there are rules in this case. To do this, came up with a duty - the captain of the elevator.
Here is a list of informal rules when using the elevator:
one.If you are the first to enter an empty elevator, you are the elevator captain.
2. As an elevator captain, stand next to the control panel and hold the door opener button or the doors themselves, until all comers enter the cabin.
3. As soon as the last person enters, release the door opening button and immediately press the button that closes the doors. Hold until they close. If someone else wants to squeeze in, the procedure is canceled.
4. As a captain, you must hold the door on each floor where the elevator stops. It is necessary to perform operations quickly and accurately, skill is required.
5. If you come to your floor, you are the last to leave, like a captain from a ship. You are holding the door to everyone.
6. Now the captain is the person who is closest to the control panel. The new captain holds the door until the old one leaves the elevator.
In general, if you are in Japan for the first time and you do not have enough experience (or you are not very responsive), simply do not enter the elevator first and stay away from buttons.